Monday 18 May 2009

What would Liz do?

I was asked, long ago by a kind and wise failure of a lady.
“What would Liz do?”
I was asked this because I did not know what to do.
The world left me dazzled by its turning and my (supposed) place in it.
But I did not really know my place and had never yet found anything that I wanted to do.


She looked at me, quizzically, owl-esque and perhaps slightly angrily.
“You don’t know what to do?”

I replied:
“Well, yes, I want to find the person that loves me to the point that his joints ache from reaching out to touch me.
I want us to tread the freshly washed sand from a new tide in a new place. I want us to gaze at the blue skies and our own eyes simultaneously. I want us to run, so very fast because we can... and because it brings delight to our souls. And I want to be able to put down in words and music just how wonderful this all is, so that others have footprints to follow.
That is what I want.”


She looked at me and said, “So you are not asking for much are you?”
And then she added:
“I don’t know a recruitment agency for that, but have you thought about a career in advertising?”

I never pursued her advice because I could never advocate the selling of false dreams...

No comments: